Different consumers have different tastes, so manufacturers produce different vehicles. From small cars to his SUVs, from electric cars to hybrids, each model has certain characteristics that attract a certain kind of buyer.
There is one element that is often overlooked. is the weight of the vehicle. Weight affects a car in many ways. In this article, we’ll look at the average automatic weight across classes and explain why it’s important.
average vehicle weight
Vehicle weight varies by model, year of manufacture, materials used, and vehicle type. Different car types (SUVs, EVs, trucks, etc.) have very different weights, but statistics can help determine the average.
According to EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) data, the average vehicle weight in 2022 will be about 4,094 pounds, up slightly from 4,000 pounds in 2018.
However, if you want to get into the details, here are some estimated averages broken down by type. An SUV or truck can weigh from 3,500 pounds to over 6,000 pounds.
However, these numbers are not definitive and highly dependent on the model you own. They are inaccurate, so you should always check and find the exact weight of your vehicle. We will discuss the benefits of this knowledge later, but we also need to distinguish between different types of weight.
different types of weights
All types of weights correspond directly to the method of measurement. After all, you need to know how much weight your vehicle can carry without cargo or passengers.
- Curb weight. This is the weight of the vehicle, excluding driver, passengers, equipment and cargo.
- Gross vehicle weight (GVW). This is the curb weight plus passengers, cargo and additional equipment.
- Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). GVWR is the maximum weight a vehicle can withstand. Exceeding this compromises safety and damages the vehicle.
- payload. That’s your vehicle’s total weight plus everything it carries.
These types are useful in a variety of situations and cater to driver needs. But is it really that important to know just the vehicle and curb weight?
Benefits of knowing the weight of your car
The real answer to the question in the previous paragraph is a definite yes. Knowing the weight of your car gives you many benefits, including:
- Gross vehicle weight rating. Each state has a different Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). they cannot be surpassed.
- automotive safety. Smaller cars are at a greater disadvantage than others when it comes to accidents, so knowing the weight of your car becomes important. The most recent statistics show that for every 1,000 pounds of imperfection there is a mortality rate of over 40%. Additionally, all bridges have weight limits, so knowing your weight will give you peace of mind.
- regular maintenance. Anyone who prefers DIY style work should choose the right tools for the job. There is also a weight limit for tools, so maintenance is not possible without knowing the weight.
- Fuel consumption. For every 100 pounds of weight your car loses, you get a 1% to 2% improvement in fuel economy. This means you save money on gasoline.
- payload. Cars, like bridges and tools, have their limits, and too high a payload can cause excessive wear and damage. Knowing the weight of your car can help prevent that.
How can I find out the weight of my vehicle?
Knowing the weight of your car is very important, so you should know how to know this important information. A generic car weight guide isn’t a great source for that, so there are a few things you can try.
Your car manual should have a specs section that lists the curb weight, i.e. the weight of the car excluding passengers and cargo. Alternatively, he can also check the driver’s side door and usually find a sticker with GVWR and vehicle weight.
If that doesn’t work, go to the manufacturer’s website to find your model and specs. If the problem persists, have your car weighed at an inspection center or junkyard.
As you can see, the average driver should know the weight of their vehicle. Especially when considering fuel economy due to recent inflation and soaring gas prices, you’ll have to reconsider your extra spending.
Knowing the average weight can help narrow down your options when choosing a particular one. So, never completely ignore the weight of your vehicle, just keep that in mind.
Leave a Comment